Help us!

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:17 AM
Hello, Leppie! IronSheme is a great project but the lack of any help restrains its usage. I think it's time to make IronScheme documentation. Give us some base help, please! :)
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2008 at 9:19 AM

macropas wrote:
Hello, Leppie! IronSheme is a great project but the lack of any help restrains its usage. I think it's time to make IronScheme documentation. Give us some base help, please! :)

Inspiration!  :)

I think it is time too.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2008 at 7:11 AM
I have added some text documentation now.
Oct 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM
I am trying it now, and the lack of documentation is a real pain. For instance, I followed the steps from: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme-Z-H-3.html#node_chap_1

but IronScheme is giving me: 

> (load "sample.ss")
&assertion
&who:               expander
&message:           "top-level program is missing an (import ---) clause"
&irritants:         ()

You should really consider writting a detailed tutorial.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 6:00 AM
Hi

R6RS Scheme is slightly different. This is to accommodate a distinction between programs and libraries.

For a program, you need to import at least 1 library, eg (import (rnrs)) is standard. After this, your normal program can follow.

For a library, you need a library definition. This is a lot more complex, but is just like namespaces in .NET. The R6RS spec has some more information on this.

Given your link, your first program should go something like:

(import (rnrs))
(display "Hello, World!")
(newline)
As you can see, the import clause is like 'using System;' in C#.

An alternative method to run those samples can be done, by doing (include "sample.ss") on the REPL, this will in effect execute the content of the file in the REPL, just as if you typed it there. Note the REPL does not need an import clause as the (ironscheme) library is automatically imported (see init.ss).

Hopefully this will help some get started. (I will start making a nice tutorial too)

Cheers

leppie
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM
I have added a little tutorial to get started. It is @ http://www.codeplex.com/IronScheme/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Tutorial
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM
That worked - thanks!

Back to the book :)