.NET Integration with current runtime?

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Is there a possibility to integrate IronScheme in a future version with the current DLR. Or did you modify to much? It would be more easy to spread IronScheme targeting the same runtime, so users could use it side by side with ironpython or ironruby.

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Hi

IronScheme can run as is side-by-side with IronRuby/IronPython.  It uses it's own version of the DLR and will not interfere with other DLR's.

To make IronScheme use the current DLR, I would loose quite a few language requirements and important features, namely tail calls, and runtime record generation. Both these are not (and probably will never) be supported by the DLR, due to Silverlight compatibility requirements. Currently, IronScheme only lacks reifiable continuations to be 100% RnRS conforming.

One could make IronScheme use the current DLR, but then it would not be Scheme anymore, as tail calls are extremely important (and required).

This will only end up being some unspecified LISP dialect, that will have not much use, due to lack of specification (thank goodness for those formal language lawyers).

Cheers

leppie

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Thanks for the pointing the issues out.

It's quite obvious running Scheme without tail recursion is quite useless. Never say never. Or did you have a chat to the DLR team?

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2010 at 4:32 AM
RainerSchuster wrote:

Thanks for the pointing the issues out.

It's quite obvious running Scheme without tail recursion is quite useless. Never say never. Or did you have a chat to the DLR team?

I did request it and even provided a patch, but nothing happened. Never got feedback.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2010 at 8:29 PM

huuhhh. ....

I would give it a try once more.

EDIT: I sent Jimmy Schementi a tweet to this discussion. He replied to have a look at it.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Hmm...  It appears the latest version of DLR was almost 2 years ago - sometime after the reply to the tweet.  I wonder...