This project is read-only.

xacc - allow only one instance

May 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Edited May 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Hello! I would like to talk about xacc ide. I know this is IronScheme forum, but I recon that the creator of IronScheme is also the creator of xacc.. and xacc has no its own forum, afaik.. and also, I am to use it for coding IronScheme, so I guess this question is quite legitimate on this forum...

I am planning to use xacc with Unity (instead of the default mono) and I want to edit C# and IronScheme files with it. However, there is currenly one usability problem - whenever I open a C# script from Unity, it starts a new instance of xacc. I wonder, is there an existing option allowing it to open all files in a single instance, or could you update xacc so that it would support this feature?
May 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Hi

I havent touched that code in like 6 years, but I can have a look.

leppie
May 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Edited May 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Oh, it is sad that there is no solid support for scheme in Unity yet. I would really like to see it there. Unity's workflow looks rather suitable for lisp scripting. I have seen some partly-developed attemps to implement that, but they all seem to fade away with time... I wonder why.. That could really boost scheme popularity, like, e.g. AutoCad boosts lisp popularity with its AutoLisp..

Also sad that xacc is that out of date.. I thought it could be the beggining of such an integration, as it is the only editor that I have found to easily work with C# and IronScheme (besides MSVS which really is a pile of crap).
May 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Or, if your say that I better use MSVS with this https://github.com/leppie/IronScheme.VisualStudio2 then I will... however, see, MSVS as all Microsoft products have API from hell. They change everything with each new version and different versions may be in conflicts of total incompatibility... I'm sure you know.. so now imagine that at my job we are forced to use a flavor of MSVS2010, then at home, I have MSVS2012, then, ocassionally I come across MSVS2008... and ofcourse all this stuff just plainly fails to work.

Really it is such a shame.. for example, I come from Java world where everything just works. The Eclipse IDE will work whatever whenever, never giving you nightmare headaches of "omg what the hell now..."... sure they have some incompatibilities between versions, but somehow it is so simple to just make everything work ok.. and the whole IDE takes about 300-350 MBs and can be easily carried with you without any silly installations.. and MSVS can take an hour to install, eat some GBs of space and still fail to simply work.. so you understand, why I like the idea of xacc so much?.. :)
May 26, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Can you test starting xacc.ide with the -listermode argument?

From a quick look at the source, that should do it. But it will close the IDE when ESC is pressed.
May 26, 2014 at 6:41 PM
This does not seem to provide the desired result.. :)