Important Feature Missing

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Hello Leppie,

I first want to say, thank you for the great job you are doing.

I really like this implementation of Scheme, it is practical and thanks to .NET easy to use in daily projects.

However I think something really important is missing: The possibility to create .exe binaries and to package output files.

I read in a previous post that you are thinking about implementing it, and I hope it will be available soon :).

Thanks

Dorian

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2011 at 5:17 AM

This was an idea quite a while back before I had compiled libraries (aka library dll's)

As there is support for compilable libraries now, it makes this a bit redundant.

There was some support at some stage to create some kind of monolithic EXE, but it probably does not work anymore (again due to compiled libraries).

If you really really want it, let me know, and I will look to see what is possible.

Cheers

leppie

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Thank you for this quick answer.

What about being able to generate an .exe for the main file and take the compiled library assemblies seperately?

So the final users would have a .exe with some assemblies to launch their applications.

Thanks

Dorian

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2011 at 1:17 PM

That IS the basic idea.

There is a small problem though, only libraries can be compiled to DLL currently.

This would force one to write a small program, the only imports the a library, and call some procedure in there. Example

(import (foo))
(bar)

Then one could generate a C# wrapper exe to load IronScheme, and execute the program.

The good thing is this call be done all via code, ie invoking the C# compiler, etc.

Would that be an acceptable solution?

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

It would be great :).

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

This has been added with changeset 83956 

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Ok thanks, that's great, i am going to try that!

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM

One snag currently, is that the generated EXE will have to be in the IronScheme install directory. 

I will look/think about an idea to overcome this.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM

The generated exe now does not depend on IronScheme any more. You need to provide a path to IronScheme in the config file though.