Plan to update to current version of DLR?

May 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM
I know that you have not updated the DLR component very much of late since the DLR is such a moving target. However, with Silverlight 1 out and Silverlight Beta 2 supposed to be coming soon, along with IronPython actually being in Beta now (Beta 2 as of right now http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=11566) do you have any plans to update to a more current DLR?

Thanks
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Unfortunately I cannot answer that :(

At the moment I only utilize about 15% of the DLR, and I would love to get rid of it eventually. The path they have chosen to do Python dynamically is too slow, and it lacks features that used to be present in the DLR (the new 'dynamic' features makes compilation to an assembly impossible). There are other features too that I had to build in, like tail calls and direct methods calls, that is also impossible in the latest DLR.

I have looked at Cecil as a replacement, but have not had much forward movement (there are still very nice stuff in the DLR).

If someone else is willing to try merge with the latest DLR, I would be willing to patch IronScheme if it runs correctly (and reasonably fast).

Cheers

leppie